Chapter Forty-Nine

Robert pored over a book as the train clacked its way north. On the seat beside him, his daughter was knitting what he assumed was a scarf for next winter, but he hesitated to ask, just in case it was supposed to be something else.

After a while, Sophie set down her knitting and looked outside. The landscape sped by, golden in the afternoon sun. “I don’t miss CastaƱo,” she said, “but I do miss the green grass and trees.”

“Santa Fe is green too,” Robert assured her. “At least, some of it is. There’s a small river that runs through town. You’ll like it.”

“I might not.”

“True. But I think you will.” He tried to find his place on the page again.

“How soon can I go to El Cid if I’m not happy?”

Robert set the book aside. “I would think you’d want to give Santa Fe an honest try, for my sake. But a deal’s a deal. You can go anytime you like.”

“I bet the kids have fun at Grandpa’s school in the summer.”

“I’m sure they do. Maybe you could learn photography up there.”

Sophie pondered this. “It looks complicated,” she finally said. “All those chemicals.”

“Well, it’s an elective. That means you can take it if you want to. Or not. That’s if you decide you prefer to go to school there instead of in Santa Fe.”

“Are there electives in Santa Fe?”

“Probably.”

The girl was silent so long that Robert reached for his book, but Sophie’s next question stopped him.

“I really can go to El Cid if I want to, and you won’t be mad?”

Robert smiled indulgently. “Of course you can. Or you can go anywhere else you want to go, even the United States. But just know that I’m staying in Santa Fe. At least for now.”

Sophie nodded. “I don’t think I’d want to be very far away. I’d miss you.”

“I’d miss you too, especially if you went all the way back to Kentucky. But you’re a big girl and you can make some of your own decisions.” When she didn’t answer right away, he added, “I trust you.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Anyone who can take on Will Channing can certainly look out for herself.” He gazed at her fondly. “You’re the bravest girl I know.”

Sophie blushed and took his hand. “That’s because I take after you.”

Robert leaned back against the seat and closed his eyes. He knew with the cool logic of experience that the future would bring plenty of its own troubles and heartbreak. But for now he saw only bright vistas ahead, and he was content.

The End

6 comments:

  1. I get the feeling we skipped a few steps. She was very brave in front of Will, but no more than I would expect of Diana's daughter no matter what age. What happened with the store? What about the lodge? What about Mateo? Is this really the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Robert would have sold the store and lodge to the highest bidder, since there was no one he had a preference for. Mateo obviously couldn't come with them since his family was poor. Even if Robert was willing to pay, most parents don't let their kids go hundreds of miles away with a neighbor, especially if said child is bringing in a much-needed income.

      I don't know if I'll write more in this particular imagined world. I've tried a few times to write Kitta's story, but she's even more of a prig than Robert, and she gets on my nerves.

      Delete
  2. That's certainly the most reasonable outcome of the story. I realize it's totally unreasonable of me to hope that Mateo simply run away and hook up with them later since it seems all he gets from his family is used.

    I'm not craving Kitta's story, though I'll read it if you felt dealing with the priggishness. I'm not a big fan of prigs in general, though.

    I don't know why I was thinking he would have a hard time coming up with any buyers for the store. Silly me. The place isn't THAT poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of money, but the ones who have it pretend to be poor, a legacy of the war years.

      Kitta is super-smart, and has a fascination with water. Amalia sends her to live with Macy and Coyote when she goes to college. Will has remained good friends with them but is at odds with Kitta, since they each think they're always right. In childhood, Kitta once basically told Will to get over Diana, and he never forgave her for saying that, even though she was just a kid. He looks out for her, but only because Amalia insists on it. Otherwise, he'd be just as happy to let Amalia's orphan brat go to hell.

      Kitta can out-prig Robert any day of the week, though.

      Delete
    2. You don't care for her, and yet you've clearly thought deeply about her.

      Delete
    3. I created her. Of course I've thought deeply about her! LOL.

      Delete