Chapter Twenty-Three, Part One

Robert and Sophie sat in hard metal folding chairs while Elmira James, who handled the school’s accounting and managed its small library, looked over Sophie’s school records from Kentucky.

“I’ll have to confirm with Ms. Garduño,” she said, “But I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t start her in the fourth grade and see how she does.”

“The secession wasn’t that long ago,” Robert reminded her. The curriculum is probably very similar here to what she had in the United States.”

“Yes…” Elmira said, although she sounded skeptical.

“I had her teacher in Kentucky include math and writing samples,” Robert pointed out. “You haven’t looked at them yet.”

“Oh, that would be for Ms. Garduño to do.” Elmira gave a tight smile. “I tried that once for one of the Gautier boys who had been home-schooled. She wasn’t very happy with me.”

“I see.” Robert looked at Sophie, who stifled a sigh.

“Should we wait here for Ms. Garduño, or should we leave and come back, or…”

“No, it’s quite all right. Sophie can start whenever you like. We’ll send her home at the end of her first day with an assessment of what level she’s at on the USS system, as well as a study plan. Her plan will be tailored for her throughout the year depending on how she’s doing.” She gave that prim smile again. “With only ten students, and now eleven, we can be very flexible so that we meet the educational needs of all our children.”

Robert knew what she was saying was reasonable. He only hoped it didn’t mean they would allow Sophie to be lazy. But that was a problem for another day. “What will she need in the way of school supplies?”

Elmira had a list, and after digging through a few files, she found a copy of it. “You’ll find some of these at your own store, Mr. Dubeck, and the rest should be available at Tate’s, the dry goods and hardware store on Second.”

“I remember Tate’s.” Robert said. “I’m glad to hear they’re still in business.” He thought for a moment. “What kind of clothes do the girls wear to school these days? Sophie’s school in Kentucky was pretty casual, but I remember the girls here dressing up for it a bit.”

“Oh, they still do! And I bet your daughter looks lovely all dolled up. Not that she isn’t lovely just as she is, of course.”

Now it was Robert’s turn to force a smile. “Thank you very much, Ms. James.”

“Please call me Elmira. Just because I was friends with your mother since before you were born doesn’t mean we aren’t both grownups now.”

“Indeed we are. Have a nice afternoon.” Robert took Sophie’s hand and led her outside.

The girl picked a direction at random and stomped down the sidewalk. “I am not going back there!”

Robert hurried after her. “Now dear, be reasonable.”

“What’s reasonable about going back to where that lady works? She wasn’t fooling me. She thinks I can’t look pretty if I’m wearing pants.”

“You won’t have much to do with her. Your teacher is Ms. Garduño, remember?”

“And she’s probably just as bad. Maybe worse.”

“You don’t know that.”

“And I won’t ever know because I’m not going back!”

Robert fell silent and considered, keeping pace with her all the while. “How about we go get your school supplies? It doesn’t mean you have to go to school tomorrow, if we talk it over and it doesn’t seem like a good idea. After all, you’ve hardly got settled in yet and maybe starting on Monday would be best. But we can at least get you the things that you’ll need.”

“You’ll be wasting your money,” Sophie said.

“It’s my money to waste. Now come on. Let’s go to Tate’s. And if something other than binders and crayons catches your eye, like maybe something pretty for your room, you can have it.”

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't have used the word pretty right then if I were in his shoes. If I was Sophie, I'd slug him.

    ReplyDelete